Wednesday 13 July 2011

An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will

Bide within the Law you must, in perfect Love and perfect Trust.
Live you must and let to live, fairly take and fairly give.

(The Wiccan Rede)

I have always tried to treat people the way I expected to be treated in return. Time ago I used to think that it was needed if you want to lead a "pleasant" life and to have people be nicer towards you. And they were. Life does indeed give you what you deserve. Treating others the way you would like to be treated does work. But... yes, there`s a but... it didn`t yesterday.

Details are unimportant. Somebody did to me something I wouldn`t do to that person or to anybody else before. Something which my system of "morals" would prevent me from doing. Why? Because I don`t do that. Because something in me stops it from happening.



And thinking about it, it might be that that "Mr. Morals" inside of me is my greatest enemy on the path towards freedom. That voice that says, "Don`t do that. It`s not nice. Don`t add to the world`s negativity. Think about your image. Think about what other people will think of you."
Of course, in a way it`s all right to live following a set of rules. That stops the whole world going crazy. But what if those rules keep you in slavery? Indeed, treating others how would you like to be treated helps you lead a more pleasant life. But you`re still chained to something even though your chain is made of gold and not iron. It`s still a chain.

So what to do in this situation? Start acting against your mindset and system of morals? Do exactly the opposite and be rude or straightforwardly hurt people? Of course that might crush your previous morality and... kindness. But fighting fire with fire would NOT give you freedom. It would simply change your system of rules, your mindset with another. So the answer here would be, rather than analyzing your current personality and find flaws and try to change, better just let it go. Just be aware. Just accept that the world is a crazy place and it can not be logically understood .

You can be a moral person all you like and one day somebody will treat you so unfairly that you will have a big problem dealing with the whole thing and not have a break down. Life indeed cannot be controlled. And given the fact that we use less than 10% of our brain capacity, and that with our limited physical senses we perceive less than 1% of what really happens around us... we can safely assume that we are blind and deaf to what life really is.



And even though I knew all that, there was still a battle inside my head, between the "me who felt hurt" (the ego) by that other person`s action  and the "observer" - the one who doesn`t get involved and who simply watches life unfolding any way it chooses to :). And this is what worries me or better said what is bothering me. It`s something I have to discover or to learn in order to move forward, to reach that freedom from mind control.

Takes me thinking to what Eckhart Tolle used to say about the pain body, about that negative energy which takes control over us if we let it. And it is precisely what startled me last night, that thing that "disrupted" my peaceful existence and begun to feed into my own negativity. I started to emit judgements and criticize another person because it wouldn`t live by my set of rules and morals. And this "pain body" would have grown even stronger if it wasnt for the "observer" - my awareness. If I kept on thinking that way then no good would came out of it.

So in the end, guess I have to be grateful. To give thanks to life for showing me one of the issues I have to go through in order to reach the other side. It showed me that there is a pain body inside which is still strong and to find a way to stop feeding into it.

Onwards...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Analytics