Tuesday 28 June 2011

On death and dying...


 Remember each moment, what you are accumulating is it going to be taken away by death? - Then it is not worth bothering about. If it is not going to be taken away by death, then even life can be sacrificed for it - because one day or another life is going to disappear. Before life disappears, use the opportunity to find that which never dies.

A woman`s husband died. She was young, had only one child. she wanted to commit sati, she wanted to jump in the funeral pyre with her husband, but this small child prevented her. She had to live for this small child.
But then the small child died. Now it was too much. She went almost insane, asking people, Is there any physician anywhere who can make my child alive? I was living only for him, now my whole life is simply dark...
It happened that Buddha was coming to the town, so people said, We don't know any physician, but Buddha is coming. That is a great chance. You take the child to Buddha and tell him that, 'i am living for this child, and the child has died,' and ask him, 'You are such a great enlightened person, call him back to life! Have mercy on me!'
So she went to Buddha. She put the dead body of the child at Buddha's feet and she said, Call him back to life! you know all the secrets of life, you have attained to the ultimate peak of existence. Can't you do a small miracle for a poor woman?
Buddha said, I will do it, but there is a condition.
She said, I will fulfill any condition.
Buddha said, Settled. The condition is: you go around the town and from a house where nobody has ever died, bring few mustard seeds. That village was cultivating mustard seeds, so Buddha told her, Just go around...
The woman could not understand the strategy. She went to one house, and they said, few mustard seeds? we can bring a few bullock carts full of mustard seeds if Buddha can bring your son back to life. But our mustard seeds will not be of any help, because not one, but thousands have died in our family.
Since eternity we are here. We have seen our great-grandfather dying, we have seen our great-grandmother dying, we have seen our grandfather dying, grandmother dying. we have seen so many deaths in our family. These mustard seeds are useless. Buddha's condition is: 'from a house where nobody has ever died.

It was a small village, and she went to every house. Everybody was ready: how many seeds you want? but the condition was impossible, so many people have died in our families.
By the evening she became aware of the fact, and of the strategy of Gautama Buddha. She understood that whoever is born is going to die. So what is the point of getting the child back again? He will die again. It is better to seek the eternal, which is never born and never dies. She came back, empty-handed.




Buddha asked, where are the mustard seeds?
She laughed. In the morning she had come crying; now she laughed, and she said, you tricked me! Everybody who is born is going to die. There is no family where nobody has died - not in this village, not in the whole world. So i don't want my son to be awakened again into life - what is the point? After few days, or few months, or few years, he will have to die again. And all these years he will live in misery, in all kinds of anguish and anxiety.
Your compassion is great that you did not wake him up back to life! forget about the child. initiate me into the art of meditation so that i can go into the land, into the space of immortality, where birth and death have never happened.
"
Buddha said, you are a very intelligent woman. you understand the point.

I call this a miracle, not Jesus' waking up Lazarus. I don't call that a miracle. Apparently that looked like a miracle, but appearance is not the reality. I call Buddha's strategy a miracle. everybody is going to die, there is no point... one has to get out of birth and death.

And Buddha initiated the woman, and she became one of the enlightened ones among Buddha's disciples. Her urgency was such... she knew that, my husband has died, my child has died, and now it is my number. Any moment and I will be a victim of death, so there is not much time. I don't know at what moment the death is coming, so I have to be totally involved in the search, what the Buddha is telling me to do: 'go inwards. go to the very center of your being, and you will be beyond birth and death.'

This I call an authentic miracle: cutting the problem from the very roots.

by Osho

9 comments:

  1. I could not resist commenting. Well written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand
    your stuff previous to and you're just extremely excellent.
    I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in which you say it.
    You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it wise.
    I can not wait to read much more from you. This is really a great site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your means of describing everything in this piece of writing is genuinely fastidious, all
    be able to without difficulty be aware of it, Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this blog.
    I am hoping to see the same high-grade blog posts by you later on as well.
    In fact, your creative writing abilities has motivated me
    to get my own website now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like what you guys are up too. Such clever work and reporting!
    Keep up the wonderful works guys I've added you guys to blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, amazing blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
    you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your site
    is fantastic, as well as the content!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted
    to say that I've really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts.
    After all I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If some one wishes expert view on the topic of blogging and site-building after
    that i suggest him/her to visit this webpage, Keep up the good
    work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I've been reading your website for a while now and finally got
    the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Lubbock
    Tx! Just wanted to tell you keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics