Sunday 27 November 2011

The substance stars are made of

Tonight I have a bedtime story to share.

A long long time ago... or was it just a while ago? Hmm no matter, in my mind is as fresh as yesterday. It was sunny and warm, a perfect autumn day. I was walking down the street and I saw a girl in her early teens. She was rollerskating and enjoying her time with her friends. She was all a smile but I noticed one of her arms ended in a stump.

Immediately my mind processing entered a grim mode. I started to pity the girl thinking how hard it must be for her to go through life and how even more hardships are awaiting her in the future. Why things like this happen? Especially to a child. Life is not a walk in the park anyway...

And then she looked at me with a serene look on her face... I immediately felt ashamed. I realized my judgement was born out of a life of programming and social conditioning. The so-called reality my mind is constructing is what keeps me in the prison of judging something as good or bad, fortunate or unfortunate event, accepting or denying.

When that realization happened I stopped judging. I stepped out of my mind`s "comfort-zone" and realized life simply happens. It`s us who label things as good or bad. But that doesn`t make it real. Not at all. When what I hold to be acceptable clashes with what another holds to be acceptable then none is true. It`s just a mind construction, a daydream.

Old news, you might say if you read my previous writings. Something was different this time though.
When you look beyond form you see the truth, you see what is immortal, you see the substance we are made of. And I seen it in that child`s eyes. And I see it in the plants, and the animals, and a gorgeous landscape. It`s the feeling of being connected to one another, the feeling of not being an individual entity but one of the many parts of a sole organism. It`s the feeling of being transported beyond form back to the center of the universe. Back home.

Form dissipates because it is not real. A hand is a stump is no more. It`s just a machine we use to take us to our destination. The stump only exists in your head, and only until you step out and you realize it wasn`t there in the first place.

Forms are bound to change but the spirit is eternal. And maybe one day in autumn you will walk down the street and feel something that will rock your world, a feeling of oneness and completeness. It might come from a beautiful sunset, or a blossoming flower, or the smile of a child who knows what is important in life.

And then you wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Analytics